Foreign certificates of qualifying education (secondary school-leaving certificates, etc.) are all education certificates that have not been acquired in the Federal Republic of Germany.
Please note: If you decide to apply to HFF Munich, you should have B2 Certificate-level proficiency in German or an equivalent grasp of the language.
Foreign certificates of qualifying education need to be recognized as equivalent – to either the general or relevant subject-restricted Hochschulreife (university entrance qualification) obtained in the Free State of Bavaria. Without this recognition, applications cannot be considered for admission to HFF Munich.
Starting with admission applications for the winter semester 2017/2018, the recognition of foreign documents is being handled by uni-assist e.V. / www.uni-assist.de
uni-assist is a service that processes international applications for study in Germany. It checks and evaluates whether the education certified by foreign documents qualifies international applicants to study in Germany. If the result is positive, foreign applicants receive a so-called Preliminary Check Documentation (VPD), which candidates then include with their direct application to HFF Munich.
To get your completed education recognized by uni-assist, you must follow a three-step procedure:
Apply for a Preliminary Check Documentation (VPD) from uni-assist using the uni-assist online portal.
You are responsible for providing your documents to uni-assist in time to include your Preliminary Check Documentation with your application documents by the application deadline (28 February of the respective
year, cut-off date!). We recommend sending the qualifying documents by early January. If our university does not receive the Preliminary Check Documentation within the deadline, your application will be declined for formal reasons. The processing of your VPD application will usually take six weeks after uni-assist receives your processing fee.
Your application will not be handled until the processing fee has been received.
2. Once you have applied to uni-assist via their online portal, uni-assist will create a PDF document for you to print out, sign and submit to uni-assist in time (see above), together with the certificates of education and documents listed below.
The processing of the Preliminary Check Documentation involves a fee.
uni-assist will not be able to process your application before receiving full payment. For details about the current fees and means of payment, click here.
For the admissions procedure for the winter semester 2018/2019, you can already submit your certificates of education and documents to uni-assist in Berlin, at:
Hochschule für Fernsehen und Film München
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Please note that the following documents need to be sent as legally attested copy in their original language, accompanied by a certified translation into German or English.
For further details, please check the uni-assist guidelines.
The documents to be submitted are:
- certificate of education qualifying for university studies in the candidate’s country of origin (e.g., baccalauréat, GCE A and O levels, etc.), including the relevant lists of individual grades;
- for applicants from Mongolia, Vietnam, and the People’s Republic of China: the original of their APS certificate;
- if applicable: certificate of university admissions examinations successfully completed abroad and/or the letter of admission of the foreign university;
- if applicable: all foreign higher-education certificates (e.g., colleges, academies, university, etc.), including all relevant lists of individual grades, per semester or year (e.g., transcripts, academic certifications, indexes, etc.). All semesters currently attended or already completed at a German university are to be documented through certificates of enrollment (lmmatrikulationsbescheinigung); and
- if applicable: certificate of a successful assessment exam (Feststellungsprüfung), if this exam was completed at a Studienkolleg in Germany.
3. Once the preliminary evaluation is completed, with a positive result, uni-assist will send you the Preliminary Check Documentation (VPD) (by e-mail and by letter), for inclusion in your application to HFF Munich. Please be sure to give uni-assist your current e-mail and postal address.
You will then submit to HFF Munich a copy of the Preliminary Check Documentation (VPD) that you have received by mail from uni-assist, along with your complete application documents, by 28 February (cut-off date!) of the year of application.
For certain applicants who are able to demonstrate their exceptional giftedness and aptitude in an aptitude test, HFF Munich can waive above qualification requirements, providing these applicants show certification of either successful state-certified vocational training or a minimum of three years of practical experience in a profession related to their desired course of study. Vocational training completed abroad needs to be evaluated for recognition.
Please send, in advance, a copy of your foreign vocational certificate to:
Hochschule für Fernsehen und Film Munich
To apply and study at HFF Munich, candidates require a very good command of the German language, equal to the Second Level of the German Language Diploma.
- All application documents are to be submitted in German.
- All lectures and examinations are held in German only.